Well that was disappointing. Saw Part 2 of The Divide and went on much too long, poorly directed, the dialogue was often quite predictable as was story line. It should be a one 3 hour play. It even ended with a short lecture on how everyone should love one another no matter what your religious, sexual etc affiliation is. Good grief. I think Alan Ackybourn has lost the plot. The acting of the 2 leads however was superb so worth it alone to see them. The theatre itself was also amazing. It looks a bit like a mini-Palais Garnier from Paris. Given the posters of Maria Callas in the place I suspect it was once used for operas or recitals at least. The theatre was also half empty so I suspect the word has got around not to bother with Part 2. As wise Stephen says with regards to the Festival: "Sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs". I think this was mostly a frog in the end.
Packing now for Berlin. Temperatures in the high 20's some days. Actual Summer clothes may be worn!! Have thrown a small number of T shirts, light jeans and a jacket in small bag as hand luggage only for this short trip. Looking forward to the change and we will then have one week still of the Festival before we head home. Going to rush around next week taking photos of favourite places in Leith. Stephen wants a collage of pubs. I agreed as long as he gets one of The Marksman (a very traditional working class Leith pub that I would not set foot in) with at least one of the locals hanging around outside puffing away. I suspect they may even pose for us if we asked. Early start with taxi pick up at 7am so will attempt an early night.
No comments:
Post a Comment