Sunday, 25 June 2017

25 June

Going to sneak in one more post for today as just back from the opera and did not want to forget. Saw  La Cenerentola at the Palais Garnier. ( Cinderella). Opera is by Rossini so lots of lovely music- recognised a lot from Barber of Seville and General Rossini craziness. The Palais Garnier would probably be the most opulent opera house I have been in. Marble, gold, statues everywhere you look. We ended up with a very good view- downstairs about one third of the way back. The stage is huge- read it is the biggest in Europe- over 400 people can apparently be on stage. The gold leaf everywhere and opulence reminded me of the palaces in St Petersburgh. They called it Russian Baroque so I guess this is French baroque.

The production was not the best I have ever seen of a Rossini opera. The staging was ridiculous. The singers had to walk over this somewhat slippery looking rough terrain complete with a trench in the middle. Mind you have also seen some equally crazy stages in Sydney. Enjoyed the singing. The performers were Italian, French, Spanish and Swiss- Belgian. The 'prince' ( Juan Jose De Leon) has sang in the Barber of Seville in Australia. Cinderella also had a very good voice- Teresa Iervolino. I have never seen the opera before and just read a synopsis- aside from the staging, the rest of the production looks to have been pretty faithful to the synopsis. Very enjoyable- even just sitting in the auditorium looking around at the decor and audience was a great experience.

Getting worried I'm becoming too knowledgeable. I quite rightly it turned out explained to SA that the ceiling in the auditorium looked like Chagall and the building looked 1870's with much baroque architecture being evident. Evidentially I have too much time on my hands. Dinner afterwards was in a street called Rue Montorgueil- full of  restaurants, cafes, bakeries etc. SA and I know this street from past trips. It's very lively and Will and SA have been known to purchase the odd chocolate here. Place was packed. People everywhere. Saw a few police around - including at the opera house but not overly evident where we have been so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment